“I COME TO SERVE AND NOT BE SERVED”
by Dee Dowdy
– Mark 10:45 (My paraphrase)
For me, being a Christian means that I:
- Believe that Jesus Christ is the eternal Son of God who took on human flesh through the womb of the Virgin Mary.
- Believe He rose from the dead and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
- Trust in His Sacrifice that Christ made on the cross.
- Believe by doing so, I will be forgiven by and reconciled to God, but it also means that I abide by the teachings of Christ such as loving, caring and serving others and by the power of God’s Holy Spirit, I allow myself to be molded into the image of Christ.
But one of the aspects of my definition shown above that I wish to highlight is the service aspect. As followers of Christ, we are supposed to serve our Lord by helping others to feel His love and grace. Furthermore, when we united with this church, we promised to serve Christ through this Church.
Many of you already serve in numerous ways and I thank you for your commitment and dedication. But over the years in pastoral ministry, I have heard comments from church members who have said that they have never been asked to serve in any way. Well, I do not want that to ever be the case while I am the pastor of this fine church. Therefore, I have asked Gina to put a Volunteer Service Form in the bulletins as well as having one in this newsletter. These forms show where we will need help in the coming year. I ask that you please fill one of these out and get it to me by November 1st in order that I may set up a rotation for 2020. Even if you are currently serving in some of the current capacities, I ask that you fill one out anyway in order that I will know you wish to continue.
Blessings and Love to You All!
November 30, 2019
November 30, 2019
November 18, 2019